Tuesday, April 7, 2009

History of Mother's Day


I wish I could get more excited about Mother's Day. Even as a Mom of three children, I sometimes wonder what life would have been like had I had a Mother who was truly there for me. Luckily for me, my grandmother lived with us so the love and attention that I did not receive from my mother, I did receive from her. Because of my grandmother, I believe I had a normal, healthy well-adjusted childhood.

Now that my mother is elderly, I do help her each time she wants to move, I listen to her complain about my father who waits on her hand and foot (even though they are separated), and I do what is required to assist her when she needs medical assistance.

I sometimes wrack my brain for memories of being with her, conversations with her, fun times, anything from childhood. But I come up with nothing, except the frustration of coming home from school and taking care of three younger siblings, folding a stack of laundry, cleaning up after dinner, etc (at least my mother cooked, that's one thing she did for me. My memories of my mother was of her always talking on the phone, eating potatoe chips and watching the afternoon soaps, and getting her hair done on Saturdays.

I don't resent it...however, I did get jealous at times when my children were young and I would see a Mom and her daughter with the brand new grandchild...and the Mom (Grandma) would be hovering over her daughter and the new baby. I looked in awe and wonder as I struggled alone in the the mall or at a store with my three little kids in tow.

Anyway, I've tried to be a good Mom to my three kids, and I think I did a good job. I've always been there for them, probably too much at times, but I am their Mom and I am also their friend. I think that's a good thing.

Anyway, how did the celebration of Mother's Day come around anyway?


The ancient Greeks worshipped Rhea, who was the mother of all deities. Other ancient peoples had celebrations in honor of various goddesses, and most of them had an overarching celebration to worship the Goddess, and the best sources we have indicate that Mother’s Day traditions stem from these pagan roots.

More modern traditions abound in England, where the people have Mothering Sunday during Lent. This holiday, which takes place on the fourth Sunday during the Lent season, is intended to honor earthly mothers. This tradition descends from the Celtic celebration throughout Britain honoring Brigid, the Celtic goddess.

In the United States, Anna Jarvis is considered the founder of Mother’s Day. Her efforts to have mothers recognized with an official holiday began with her mother’s death in 1905. She started by passing out white carnations at her mother’s church in West Virginia and asking church pastors to lead services dedicated to mothers. St. Andrew’s Church in Grafton, West Virginia was the first to do so in 1908. The state of West Virginia followed St. Andrew’s example in 1912, when it became the first state to recognize the holiday.

Jarvis worked tirelessly, even leaving her job, to convince politicians and business leaders that a holiday devoted to mothers would be beneficial. The United States Congress passed a resolution calling for Mother’s Day in 1914, and President Theodore Roosevelt signed the measure. Jarvis spent the rest of her life fighting against what Mother’s Day was becoming.

Today’s Mother’s Day celebrations are a bit different from what Jarvis imagined. Mother’s Day has become commercialized more than Jarvis would have liked, but it is still a day when American honors their mothers.

No comments: